🚀 go-pugleaf

RetroBBS NetNews Server

Inspired by RockSolid Light RIP Retro Guy

Article View: az.swusrgrp
Article #401

Phoenix Delphi Users Group Meeting and charter

#401
From: William B. Austin
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 1996 00:00
185 lines
7483 bytes
    ================= Begin forwarded message =================

    From: datam@indirect.com (Leo Singh)
    To: leo@datam.com
    Subject: Delphi UG Meeting Notice
    Date: Fri, 05 Jan

    
             ARIZONA DELPHI USER GROUP MEETING NOTICE
             ----------------------------------------
    
    Details of the last meeting follow the notice.  Please read carefully.
    In that meeting we worked on creating a structure of the group.
    
    If you came to the last meeting and notice an error/ommission please let us
    know.
    
    The next Delphi User Group meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 10,
    1996 starting at 6:30 p.m.
    
    Andy King will talk about his experiences with Serial and TCP/IP
    Communication with Delphi.
    He will also explain why he chose not to use off the shelf components and
    wrote his own.  Andy will also talk about a little utility he wrote that
    displays bitmaps and icons,  which took about an hour to write.  In C++
    this program would probably have taken 2-3 days.
    
    PIZZA will be available until consumed.
    
    Normal Meeting Location.
    This meeting will be held at the GENOTECHS Inc. offices.
    They are at 2737 W. Southern Ave. Suite 14 in  Tempe.
    That is a bit south of the 48th St. and Southern in Southern Commerece
    Center.
    There is ample parking.
    
    After the presentation we will have a feedback session on the progress we
    made with the user group so far.  Make sure you come to the meeting and
    share your ideas so that the user group can better serve the needs of
    growing number of Delphi Developers.
    
    If you can not make it to meeting but still have some ideas about the group
    or would like to volunteer in any way, PLEASE call, e-mail or fax Leo Singh
    with your comments.
    
    If you have any questions about the meeting please e-mail Leo Singh on
    Compuserve at 72270,1160 or on internet at lms-delphi@datam.com.  Leo Singh
    can be reached at 602-553-8335 (voice) for further questions.  E-mail is
    the preferred form of communication though.
    
    If you do not wish to receive the regular e-mail of the user group notices
    please write to one of the above addresses (or just reply to this e-mail
    message) by just saying 'do not send meeting notices.'  We aren't setup on
    a list-server so cryptic message headers aren't necessary, just plain
    English will suffice.  If you received this notice via fax and do not wish
    to receive it in the future you can fax back at 553-8336 and ask to be
    removed from the list.
    
    See you there!!
    
    PS: If you name is mis-spelled, my apologies.  Come to any meeting or call
    me and I'll be happy to correct it.
    
    
    Minutes of the last meeting on Dec 13, 1995 follow (as recorded by Richard
    Harris).
    
    The meeting was held at GenoTechs', office in Tempe.  The meeting was
    organized by Leo Singh.   About 20 people were in attendence.
    
    A presentation was made by Jim Gunkel on methods to generate unique
    indexes.  The method is usable in multiuser databases as well as single
    user databases, and is easy to use for regeration of indexes.  Jim also
    provided information on his product ReportPrinter.
    
    Organization of the User's Group was the main topic of discussion.
    
    The first item was to determine if the group was ready to take on the role
    of a true user's group and not just let Leo Singh do all the work.  Leo is
    looking for help in running, organizing, and coordinating the group.  The
    group would like to become fully organized.
    
    The second topic was what should the group look like?  What should the user
    group do to benefit who?  What is the best way to organize?  Where?  What
    kind of group would benefit us the most?.  What things we would be most
    interested in?  What would we avoid?
    
    The last topic was who can do what to help the group.  The group loosely
    organized some of the traditional posts, which will someday be elected.
    
    Posts that were filled are:
    
    TPresident	Leo M Singh	DataMaster Inc.
    
    TVicePresident	Gillis Onyeabor	GenoTechs
    
    TTreasurer	Kevin Peiers	Event Software
    
    TMeetingCoordinator	Scott Bruns	MicroTest
    
    TMailer	Leo M Singh	DataMaster Inc.
    
    TScribe	Richard Harris	Penguin Programming
    
    
    Here are some of the membership specifics that were touched upon.
    
    * There should be a $5 at the door type of dues, for those that don't wish
    to have a yearly membership.
    
    * There should be a once a year meeting dues of about $50 for those that
    wished to pay that way.
    
    * It is desirable to have a social & munchy session before the meeting.
    The refreshments could be pizza or ...?
    
    * That we as a group would like to be in the 50-125 range in membership.
    
    * That we are a group to help support ourselves and others in the use of
    Delphi related tools, products, and services.
    
    * We will not at this time provide the group members mailling list to
    others.
    
    * We will try to produce a newsletter and work on providing a WWW site.
    
    * We will try to have a meeting organizer for each meeting to be the lead
    in planning and organizing.
    
    * Meetings will be held on the second Wednesday of each month starting at
    6:30 PM.
    
    The initial structure of the meeting would be broken down into the
    following sessions.
    
    1) A social and snack pre-session for meeting with other members.
    
    2) A Main Presentation (Ideally a Vendor), followed by a very brief Q&A
    session if needed.
    
    3) A Component/Product of the month (Vendor or member testimonial).
    
    4) A Member/User presentation.
    
    5) A Main Q&A session covering the whole meeting.
    
    
    
    Members presentations that are tentatively planned for the future include:
    
    Jan: TCP/IP by Andy King
    
    Feb: Multimedia by David Schwartz
    
    Mar: 32-Bit Delphi by Jim Gunkel
    
    Future topics
    
    Infopower by Bruce Inglish
    
    
    
    As always any questions and comments would be appreciated.
    -----------------------------------
    Leo M. Singh
    
    lms@datam.com
    
    
    
    ----- End Included Message -----
    
    
    

--
AZTEC Users Group Forum Moderator
Bill Austin                               austin@aztec.asu.edu
President, South Mountain Users Group     (602)759-3725

-- 
William B. Austin,          President,      South Mountain Users Group
austin@aztec.asu.edu                        (602)759-3725
AZTEC Users Group Forum SIG Moderator       (602)965-4151
Technical Details
Message-ID: <4cmfpd$7sm@news.asu.edu>
Path: arc1-ca.pugleaf.net!unknown!not-for-mail

Show Full Headers
Complete Article Headers
X-Google-Language: ENGLISH,ASCII-7-bit
X-Google-Thread: 10cf2f,af2a40558401a75f,start
X-Google-Attributes: gid10cf2f,public
X-Google-Thread: 1084c1,af2a40558401a75f,start
X-Google-Attributes: gid1084c1,public
From: austin@aztec.asu.edu (William B. Austin)
Subject: Phoenix Delphi Users Group Meeting and charter
Date: 1996/01/06
Message-ID: <4cmfpd$7sm@news.asu.edu>
X-Deja-AN: 134294368
organization: Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ (USA)
reply-to: austin@aztec.asu.edu (William B. Austin)
newsgroups: az.swusrgrp,az.general